Orient Land Trust (OLT) is a unique place of peace, community, and soothing waters
that nourish the environment and inspire us to preserve it.
Orient Land Trust is a nonprofit land trust
dedicated to the preservation of Valley View Hot Springs (VVHS) and its viewshed—
including natural and biologic resources, agricultural lands, wildlife habitat,
open space, and historic and geologic features
of the northern San Luis Valley—
for the education and enjoyment of current and future generations.
Objectives, Goals and Strategies
Visitor Space Protection and Management: Maintain and protect Valley View Hot Springs as an affordable, peaceful and family-friendly clothing-optional recreational facility that enhances the visitor experience year round.
- Maintain rustic lodging and camping opportunities for all visitors.
- Maintain capacity and group size limits to mitigate the impact of human use the the environment
- Provide a welcoming family-friendly environment.
- Promote naturism along with social and environmental awareness.
Conservation and Preservation: Follow the highest possible standards for land preservation, agricultural practices, and energy and water conservation.
- In Orient Land Trust’s geographical area of concern, protect the view, wildlife corridors, dark skies and open space by utilizing appropriate conservation tools.
- Promote land stewardship with an emphasis on conservation, preservation and education over revenue priorities
- Strive for off-grid energy use and a small carbon footprint for all components of OLT.
- Protect water resources.
Research and Education: Facilitate scientific research around OLT resources, and promote educational programs and activities suitable for adults and children.
- Encourage collaboration with scientists, universities, government agencies and others for scientific studies of OLT resources including geology, biology, hydrology and energy.
- Develop and demonstrate conservation models and programs that teach thoughtful use of limited resources, including energy, water, material goods and land, to reduce each individual’s impact on these resources and to adjust for environmental changes such as drought.
- Provide regular educational programs and activities for guests of all ages.
Staff Development and Community Relations: Maintain OLT as a responsible citizen of the San Luis Valley.
- Maintain a professional staff with expertise in conservation practices, agriculture, energy, finance and accounting, fundraising, and resort management.
- Provide an organizational structure that facilitates accomplishment of OLT’s mission and objectives.
- Follow sound fiscal and project development practices that facilitate accomplishment of OLT's mission and objectives.